VetHug user agreement
VetHug powers storytelling among pets, pat families and veterinary professionals.
These terms and your conduct make that possible.
We want you to know your rights and our rights and so we have prepared this agreement (“user agreement” or “agreement”) between VetHug (“we”, “our,” “us”) and you. This agreement sets the terms of your use of the VetHug website and services (“VetHug”) and is meant to encourage a fair and tolerant place for ideas, people, links, and discussion.
First, the legal stuff
Your access to VetHug
1. Without advance notice and at any time, we may, for violations of this agreement or for any other reason we choose: (1) suspend your access to VetHug, (2) suspend or terminate Your Account and/or (3) remove any of your User Content from VetHug.
2. We reserve the right to monitor VetHug, and your use of the Service means you agree to such monitoring. At the same time, we do not guarantee we will monitor at all.
VetHug is for your personal, lawful use
3. VetHug is designed and supported for personal use only. You may not use VetHug to break the law, violate an individual’s privacy, or infringe any person or entity’s intellectual property or any other proprietary rights.
VetHug is for fun
4. VetHug is intended to be a place for your entertainment. We are not responsible for any decisions you make based on something you read on VetHug.
VetHug isn’t intended as a marketplace
5. VetHug is not intended to be a marketplace for any goods or services. However, you may find commercial links, coupons, deals, advertisements and other third-party offers on VetHug. In addition, VetHug may have affiliate relationships with certain of these third parties and may receive compensation for any purchase made from them. VetHug is not a party to, nor in any way responsible for, any transactions you have with these third parties, even if VetHug has an affiliate relationship with such parties. For this reason, any transactions you undertake are your responsibility alone, so be careful.
6. You may not use VetHug to conduct transactions for any illegal goods or services.
Your VetHug account
7. To participate on VetHug, you must create an account that includes a username and password (“Your Account”) and, if you want to be able to reset your password or have us contact you, an email address as well. Of course, you can also browse VetHug without logging in.
8. You are solely responsible for the information associated with Your Account and anything that happens related to Your Account.
9. You may not license, transfer, sell, or assign Your Account without our written approval.
10. VetHug contains graphics, text, photographs, images, video, audio, software, code, website compilation, website “look and feel,” and advertisements supplied by us or our licensors, which we call “VetHug content.” VetHug content is protected by intellectual property laws including copyright and other proprietary rights of the United States and foreign countries.
11. We grant you the right to access the VetHug content in the manner described in this agreement. You may not otherwise make unauthorized commercial use of, reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute copies, perform, or publicly display VetHug content, except as permitted by the doctrine of fair use or as authorized in writing by us. If you are interested in licensing VetHug content, learn more by reading our licensing page and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. You retain the rights to your copyrighted content or information that you submit to VetHug (“user content”) except as described below.
13. By submitting user content to VetHug, you grant us a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute copies, perform, or publicly display your user content in any medium and for any purpose, including commercial purposes, and to authorize others to do so.
14. You agree that you have the right to submit anything you post, and that your user content does not violate the copyright, trademark, trade secret or any other personal or proprietary right of any other party.
We don’t endorse user content
16. We take no responsibility for, we do not expressly or implicitly endorse, and we do not assume any liability for any user content submitted by you to VetHug.
Links and VetHug
Your participation on VetHug
18 You also agree to follow the VetHug Content Policy. These guidelines are intended to keep people safe, protect kids, keep VetHug running, and to encourage personal responsibility for what you do on VetHug.
19. SubVetHugs may create their own rules and enforce them as they see fit, providing they do not violate the terms of this agreement.
20. You agree that VetHug is not responsible for the actions taken or not taken by moderators.
21. Moderating a subVetHug is an unofficial, voluntary position. We reserve the right to revoke that position for any user at any time. If you choose to moderate a subVetHug, you agree to the following:
- You may not enter into any form of agreement on behalf of VetHug, or the subVetHug which you moderate, without our written approval.
- You may not perform moderation actions in return for any form of compensation or favor from third-parties.
- When you receive notice that there is content that violates this user agreement on subVetHugs you moderate, you agree to remove it.
Don’t spam the VetHug community
22. You may not post any graphics, text, photographs, images, video, audio or other material that we deem to be junk or spam. Cluttering VetHug with this sort of content reduces the quality of the VetHug experience for others. For guidance, see our rules about spam and self-promotion.
Don’t mess with VetHug
23. You agree not to interrupt the serving of VetHug, introduce malicious code onto VetHug, make it difficult for anyone else to use VetHug due to your actions, attempt to manipulate votes or VetHug’s systems, or assist anyone in misusing VetHug in any way. It takes a lot of work to maintain VetHug. Be cool.
24. We support the responsible reporting of security vulnerabilities. To report a VetHug security issue, please send an email to security@VetHug.com.
Other ways of accessing VetHug
25. Use of the VetHug API is governed by the API access rules, available soon.
26. We encourage the creation of other ways to access VetHug, including browser extensions and mobile and desktop applications. We take no responsibility for, we do not expressly or implicitly endorse, and we do not assume any liability for any mobile or desktop application not produced by us.
27. If you produce or maintain a browser extension or application, you agree not to purposefully negate any user’s actions to delete or edit their content on VetHug.
Children and VetHug
28. VetHug is not directed at people under the age of 13, and VetHug does not knowingly collect any personal information from such people. If you know that a user under the age of 13 is accessing VetHug, please contact us email@example.com.
Copyright, the DMCA & takedowns
29. We will respond to legitimate requests under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), and we retain the right to remove user content on VetHug that we deem to be infringing the copyright of others. If you become aware of user content on VetHug that infringes your copyright rights, you may submit a properly formatted DMCA request (see 17 U.S.C. § 512) to VetHug.
30. Misrepresentations of infringement can result in liability for monetary damages. You may want to consult an attorney before taking any action pursuant to the DMCA. Any DMCA request should be sent to this contact information:
1101 West 34th St., Ste. 138
Austin, TX 78705
30. Please send our Copyright Agent the following information:
- The electronic or physical signature of the owner of the copyright or the person authorized to act on the owner’s behalf;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or a representative list of such works;
- The URL or Internet location of the materials claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity, or information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- Your name, address, telephone number and email address;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Your right to file a counter-notice
31. If we remove your user content in response to a copyright or trademark notice, we will notify you via VetHug’sprivate messaging system and offer to provide you with a copy of the notice. If you believe your user content was wrongly removed due to a mistake or misidentification of the material, you can file a counter-notice with us that includes the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and where the material was located online before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- A statement by you, under penalty of perjury, that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled; and
- Your name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of federal district court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if your address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under DMCA 512 subsection (c)(1)(c) or an agent of such person.
32. Upon receiving a counter-notice we will forward it to the complaining party and tell them we will restore your content within 10 business days. If that party does not notify us that they have filed an action to enjoin your use of that content on VetHug before that period passes, we will consider restoring your user content to the site.
33. It is VetHug’s policy to close the accounts of users we identify as repeat infringers. We apply this policy at our discretion and in appropriate circumstances, such as when a user has repeatedly been charged with infringing the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others.
A few more legalities
34. Please read the following very carefully. Each of the following sections applies to the maximum extent permitted by law. Where jurisdictions do not allow disclaimers of implied warranties or the limitation of liability in contracts, the contents of this section may not apply.
35. All the things you do and all the information you submit or post to VetHug remain your responsibility. Indemnity is basically a way of saying that you will not hold us legally liable for any of your user content or actions that infringe the law or the rights of a third party or person in any way.
36. Specifically, you agree to hold VetHug, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, and third party service providers harmless from and defend them against any claims, costs, damages, losses, expenses, and any other liabilities, including attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or related to your access to or use of VetHug, your violation of this user agreement, and/or your violation of the rights of any third party or person.
Disclaimer of warranties
37. VetHug is provided “as is” and without warranty of any kind. To the maximum extent permitted by law, we and our affiliates and third party service providers disclaim any and all warranties, express or implied, including (but not limited to) implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement of proprietary rights, or any other warranty, condition, guarantee or representation, whether oral or electronic. You are solely responsible for any damage to your computer or mobile device, loss of use, or loss of your user content. We do not guarantee that VetHug will always work properly.
Limitation of liability
38. We will not be liable for any special, consequential, indirect, incidental, punitive, reliance, or exemplary damages, whether in tort, contract, or any other legal theory, arising out of or in any way connected with this agreement or your use of or attempt to use VetHug, including (but not limited to) damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, or data. This limitation on liability shall not be affected even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow for the exclusion of implied warranties or the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusions may not apply to you. You may have other rights that vary from state to state.
39. You agree to release us, our affiliates, and third-party service providers, and each associated director, employee, agents, and officers, from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential), of every kind and nature, known and unknown, disclosed or undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected to your use of VetHug.
40. We want you to enjoy VetHug, so if you have an issue or dispute, you agree to raise it and try to resolve it with us informally. You can contact us with feedback and concerns here or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
41. The headings in this agreement are for convenience and do not control any of its provisions.
42. Any claim or dispute between you and us arising out of or relating to this user agreement, in whole or in part, shall be governed by the laws of the State of Texas without respect to its conflict of laws provisions. We agree and you agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal court located in Travis County, Austin, TX.
Severability and enforcement
43. If any provision of this user agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that provision will be modified to the extent necessary to render it enforceable without losing its intent. If no such modification is possible, that provision will be severed from the rest of this agreement.
44. If we do not enforce any right or provision in this user agreement, that is not to be deemed a waiver of our right to do so in the future.
Changes to this user agreement
45. This user agreement is the entire agreement between you and us concerning VetHug. It supersedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements between you and us. We may modify this user agreement at any time. If we make changes to this agreement that materially affect your rights, we will provide advance notice and keep this edition available as an archive on the VetHug website. By continuing to use VetHug after a change to this agreement, you agree to those changes.